Monday, November 15, 2010

The Last Felt Flower


The Last Felt Flower

A couple of weeks ago I showed you how to make a fun felt flower on the autumn bloom belt.  Well, today I wanted to show you one more take on that flower.  I switched up a couple of things and I wanted to share it with you.  So, here's the last felt flower tutorial.  Then there will be no more.  I don't want to beat a dead horse.  (Okay I'm probably not beating a dead horse to you, but I feel like I've done a lot of felt stuff since my sister and I did a lot of it on our headbands.  Maybe I'm just talking to a dead horse...no that sounds worse.  Forget the dead horse.  Let's move on.  I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have this many sentences between one set of parentheses anyhow.)


The flower making process is almost identical to the flowers on the autumn bloom belt, but I used pinking shears to cut the strip first.


Then I made my slits occur in the corners the pinking shears created.  See?  It makes for a really fine, consistent flower.  Then I rolled the flower as I did on the other tutorial. 


Lastly, I cut leaves from a large grograin ribbon and melted the edges so they wouldn't fray and so they'd look cool.


I like to use the same color felt as my base so that any of it shows, you won't really notice.  I glued the leaves down and then the flower.  Then I trimmed away the extra felt of the base.


I love the versatility of a good flower.  It can go on a headband, on a shirt as a pin, on a bag, on a belt, or pretty much anywhere you need it.  This light blue one kind of has a fun winter feel to it.


Sidenote: If you don't have a strip of felt as long as you need to make the size flower you want you can always piece together a few different strips and you'd never notice. Just a tip.

Thanks for dropping by.  Tomorrow I have a post that a lot of you have asked about.  My sister is going to show you how to give a little guy a good haircut.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment